Madrid (AFP) - Police found an eight-year-old Ivorian
boy hidden in a suitcase that was smuggled across the border into Spanish
territory in north Africa, an official said on Friday.
A 19-year-old woman took the case through a pedestrian
crossing from Morocco into the small Spanish-governed territory of Ceuta on
Thursday, a spokesman for the Civil Guard police force said.
"When they put the suitcase through the scanner,
the operator noticed something strange, which seemed to be a person inside the
case," he told AFP.
"When it was opened they found a minor, in a
terrible state."
The boy said he was eight years old and from Ivory
Coast, according to the spokesman.
The Civil Guard arrested the woman, who was due to go
before a judge.
They also arrested the boy's father when he tried to
cross the border a few hours later. The father is Ivorian and lives in Spain's
Canary Islands.
Thousands of migrants each year risk their lives
trying to enter Ceuta and another Spanish territory bordering Morocco, Melilla,
in search of a better life in Europe.
Many Africans try to scramble over the seven-metre
(23-foot) fences that separate the Spanish cities from Morocco.
Others smuggle themselves over the border hidden in vehicles
and cargoes or try to swim or sail from shores on the Moroccan side.
Earlier this week a 23-year-old Moroccan was found in
a shipping container in the port of Melilla.
He was dehydrated after four days cooped up without
food or water, since the container was left unattended over the May holiday
weekend
Credit: Yahoo.com
African Leaders please wake-up!


No comments:
Post a Comment